- Register a Voluntary Commitment for SDG 14
- Sign in to your account
- Click Join Community in the above button
- Click Account above and create your account.
- Once created, Contact us and let us know so we can link your Voluntary Commitment to your account.
- Contact us and let us know so we can link your Voluntary Commitment to your account.
Coral reefs are one of the most diverse ecosystems on earth. They support fisheries, and an estimated one billion people have some dependence on coral reefs for food and income from fishing and tourism. They also protect shorelines and create land by dissipating wave energy and continue to be a potential source of new medicines. Coral reefs are estimated to provide goods and services valued to be close to US$30 billion per year. Yet coral reefs are threatened by a combination of impacts that include ocean warming and acidification, as well as local pollution, overfishing and sedimentation.Over 90 voluntary commitments relate to coral reefs, including activities aimed at their protection, management and restoration, as well as maintaining tangible benefits to coastal communities from coral reef fisheries and tourism. The commitments cover both local and global initiatives. This Community of Ocean Action aims to support its members in implementing their coral reef-related voluntary commitments by exchanging progress reports, experiences, lessons learned and good practices.