The Institute for the Law of the Sea and International Marine Environmental Law (ISRIM) is leading the scientific discourse and public debate project 'Free Seas? - A Legal Order for the Seas and Oceans'.
The project is supported through public funding by the German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF) and is a contribution to open science in the context of the German Science Year 2016*17 - Seas and Oceans.
The project includes the production of six videos on the legal aspects on the exploration, the usage and the protection of the seas and oceans, freely accessible at the ISRIM YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/ISRIMde). The videos include expert opinions by international legal scholars:
- Dr. Blanco-Bazán, international lawyer and consultant as well as former Senior Deputy Director (retired), Legal Affairs, International Maritime Organization (IMO), London/UK;
- Prof. Dr. Aref Fakhry, Professor of International Law, World Maritime University (WMU), Malmö/Sweden;
- Prof. Dr. Iris Kirchner-Freis, Director, Institute for the Law of the Sea and International Marine Environmental Law (ISRIM), Bremen/Germany and Professor of EU and Intellectual Property Law, University of Bremen, Germany;
- Prof. Dr. Andree Kirchner, Director, Institute for the Law of the Sea and International Marine Environmental Law (ISRIM), Bremen/Germany and Professor of International Law, University of Applied Sciences Bremerhaven, Germany;
- Prof. Dr. Lorenzo Schiano di Pepe, Professor of EU and International Law, University of Genoa, Italy.
The videos are accompanied by a series of public lectures at the Science Matinee "Knowledge at 11" at the House of Science Bremen.