Monaco supports the GFCM measures to prevent, deter and eliminate illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea.
In this respect, the commitment of Monaco for this four years agreed period aims to support the GFCM activities to curb IUU fishing.
For the period 2017-2020, Monaco supports:
- The celebration of an International Day for the fight against IUU fishing;
- The Port State Measures Agreement to Prevent, Deter and Eliminate Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing;
- The GFCM Secretariat in IUU fishing international meetings;
- IUU national experts participating in GFCM meetings.
By 2020, effectively regulate harvesting and end overfishing, illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing and destructive fishing practices and implement science-based management plans, in order to restore fish stocks in the shortest time feasible, at least to levels that can produce maximum sustainable yield as determined by their biological characteristics
Type of commitment
- Reduction and elimination fishing practices and gear that destroy/degrade marine habitat