Research for the Inventory, Monitoring and Conservation of the Peruvian Marine Biodiversity
by Instituto del Mar del Perú (IMARPE) (Government)
In relation to the initiatives that contribute to the implementation of the SDG 14, research cruises and surveys are carried out, and tools and strategies are used for the conservation of marine ecosystems. In this sense, the following activities are carried out:
- Determination of the specific composition and abundance of Peruvian fish , invertebrate and macroalgae stocks, as well as their relationship with environmental parameters.
- Analysis of spatiotemporal variability of marine species and populations.
- Evaluation of ecological indexes of marine communities.
- Identification of some indicators of environmental events, such as "El Nio", as well as the modeling and prediction of different scenarios in the Peruvian sea.
These initiatives have contributed to increasing knowledge of marine biodiversity, developing species inventories and developing catalogs and identification guides.
Increase scientific knowledge, develop research capacity and transfer marine technology, taking into account the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission Criteria and Guidelines on the Transfer of Marine Technology, in order to improve ocean health and to enhance the contribution of marine biodiversity to the development of developing countries, in particular small island developing States and least developed countries
Type of commitment
- Scientific, socioeconomic and interdisciplinary research
- Research capacity development
- Data access and sharing
- Training and professional development
- Scientific cooperation
Identification reports and guides.
Financing (in USD)
Time-frame: 2018 - 2021
Instituto del Mar del Per (IMARPE), Ministry of Production of Peru
Research institutes, individuals
Renato Guevara, Dr., firstname.lastname@example.org,
La Punta, Callao, Peru