Indonesia Tsunami Early Warning System (InaTEWS) is an operational activity carried out by Agency for Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics as a part of governmental duty which shall provide meteorology, climatology, and geophysics service including public information, early warning, and specific information. BMKG is a tsunami service provider under UNESCO/IOC that responsible providing tsunami threat notification to the Indian Ocean member states.
Objectives of InaTEWS includes:
1. Delivers early warning to coastal communities when earthquake occurs and its potential in forming tsunami in the area.
2. Improves cooperation between institution and government on development of science and technology in order to enhance accuracy of tsunami early warning system as a consequences of wide tsunami impacts area.
3. Develops TEWS technology using equipment and infrastructure such as weather station or ocean wave radar on the water which provides ocean temperature, wind and ocean wave data to be used as weather forecast to support information on climate change and its impact.
Monitoring, analysis, dissemination of tsunami warning (joint cooperation between BMKG, BIG, and BPPT)
b. Mitigation and Emergency Response:
Taking care emergency response in facing event disaster through the activity to support hazard mitigation, by raising the public awareness, shelter preparation, guidance on evacuation, route map, etc. (joint cooperation with Home Affairs Ministry, BNPB, LIPI, Local Government, and Universities)
c. Capacity Building:
Giving the support through study, research, capacity building of human resources (joint cooperation between Ministry of Research, Technology, and Higher Education, BMKG, LIPI, BPPT, and ITB)
Existing InaTEWS Infrastructure in Indonesia:
a. Land Observation System : Seismograph (165 stations), Accelerograph (238 stations)
b. Ocean Observation System : Tide Gauge (134 stations), DART-Buoy (2 buoys)
c. InaTEWS Siren System : 55 units
d. Dissemination System : DVB (205 units), WRS 2 Way (56 locations)
e. Tsunami CCTV : 9 locations
1. Strengthening seismic network by installing the seismographs up to 165
2. Extending tsunami database covering whole of Indonesia region to be integrated into Decision Support System
3. Strengthening InaTEWS operational Backup through capacity building for the operators
4. Strengthening the tools of Tsunami Service Provider to improve the performance of TSP Indonesia in providing earthquake information and tsunami warning for Indian Ocean countries