Marine Conservation Cambodia (MCC) is an independent community based NGO with a respected national environmental policy and advocacy role. MCC is committed to:
protecting and restoring healthy and sustainable marine ecosystems, strengthening their resilience
supporting and empowering small-scale fishing communities whos people, for generations, have primarily relied upon local marine resources for their food and livelihoods;
engaging with and assisting to inform local, regional and national levels of the Cambodian government and their associated agencies in the development of sustainable fisheries and the implementation of science-based best practice regulations and management.
MCC's methodology for the respect of this commitment consists on :
- Deploying of Conservation and Anti-Trawling Structures (CANTS), acting as marine life aggregation devices (an artificial reef). They will : (i) enhance the ability of law enforcement authorities to prevent illegal and destructive trawling; (ii) improve water quality in the entire Kep Archipelago; and (iii) provide alternative economic activities for local communities.
- Enforcing national Fisheries Laws by monitoring, reporting and detering Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing.
- Conducting research on Marine Mammals, Seahorses and Seagrass in order to advocate for the implementation of science-based conservation strategies for these endangered species and vital habitat.
- Conducting coral reef surveys, invertebrate and fish population surveys in key locations of the archipelago to monitor its evolution.
- Use collected data to raise awareness among stakeholders, build capacity of Fisheries managers and local decision makers, create science-based management plans for local protected area.
Updates to voluntary commitment
Increase of the production of commercial and non-commercial marine species in Kep Archipelago
Stop of all IUU fishing in Kep archipelago, focusing on destructive bottom trawl fishery
Creation of a science-based body of research for effective, long-term marine management
Creation of an extensive network of Marine Fisheries Management Areas, or MFMAs (Cambodias equivalent of Marine Protected Areas, or MPAs).