Second annual Multi-stakeholder Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation for the Sustainable Development Goals (STI Forum)
15 May 2017 - 16 May 2017
Venue: UNHQ New York
The UN Inter-Agency Task Team on STI for SDGs (IATT) was mandated to work with the 10 representatives from civil society, private sector and scientific community to prepare the STI Forum.
As requested by the General Assembly resolution 70/1 on 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the President of ECOSOC will convene the meetings of the STI forum once a year to discuss science, technology and innovation cooperation around thematic areas for the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals. The General Assembly also decided that the meetings of the forum will be co-chaired by two Member States and will result in a summary of discussions elaborated by the two co-Chairs.
In this regards, H.E. Mr. Frederick Musiiwa Makamure Shava, the President of ECOSOC, reappointed H.E. Mr. Macharia Kamau, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Kenya to the United Nations and Dr. Vaughan Turekian, the Science and Technology Adviser to the US Secretary of State, to act as co-chairs for the 2017 STI forum.
Resolutions and decisions
- Concept Note for Session 1 on “Harnessing Science, Technology and Innovation for the SDGs – the key to unlocking STI potentials”
- Concept Note for Session 2 (a) on “Key priorities for engaging STI for ending poverty in all its forms everywhere (SDG1)”
- Concept Note for Session 2 (b) on the “Role of STI in ending hunger, achieving food security and improved nutrition and promoting sustainable agriculture (SDG2)”
- Concept Note for Session 2 (c) on the “Key priorities for engaging STI for ensuring healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages (SDG3)”
- Concept Note for Session 2 (d) on “Key priorities for engaging STI for achieving gender equality and empower all women and girls (SDG 5)”
- Concept Note for session 2 (e) on “Key priorities for engaging STI to conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development (SDG 14)”
- Concept Note for Session 2 (f) on “Key priorities for engaging STI for building resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation (Goal 9)”
- Concept Note for Session 3 on “Lessons learned in improving the impact of STI on the SDGs – highlighting the cross-cutting nature of STI’”
- Concept Note for Session 4 on “National STI plans and policies for achieving the SDGs”
- Concept Note for Session 5 on “STI capacity building for achieving the SDGs”
- Concept Note for Session 6 on “Emerging frontiers: Evolving STI developments with implications for SDGs”
- Concept Note for Session 7 on “Supporting the Technology Facilitation Mechanism’”