The governments of Germany and Sweden, together with the United Nations Environment Programme and in cooperation with the Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS), the Institute for Sustainable Development and International Relations (IDDRI), and TMG – Think Tank for Sustainability are organizing a one day side event on the role of regional ocean governance for delivering SDG 14.
Participants from a variety of regions will discuss and identify innovative solutions through which countries and competent organisations could work together towards the harmonised and cross-sectoral implementation of SDG 14. This side event will be organised as an integral part of the UN Ocean Conference and concluding messages will be reported back to the conference.
Confirmed speakers include
- Gunther Adler, State Secretary for the Environment, Germany
- Karolina Skog, Minister for the Environment, Sweden
- Didier Dogley, Minister for the Environment, Republic of the Seychelles
- Umiich Sengebau, Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Republic of Palau
- Erik Solheim, Executive Director of UN Environment
- Klaus Töpfer, Founding Director of TMG-Think Tank for Sustainability
The event is targeted at high level decision-makers and ocean governance experts. Please RSVP no later than 1 June, 2017 by confirming your participation to WRI5@bmub.bund.de, stating your name, position and affiliation. For security reasons, R.S.V.P. is mandatory to gain access to the premises of the German Mission. Please take note that photo-ID needs to be presented. Due to security regulations and additional events, we kindly ask all participants to be on schedule.
The German Permanent Mission is located at 871 United Nations Plaza (First Avenue & 49th Street).